Can I buy basketball balls and accessories at Anaconda?
Yes, you can. Anaconda stock a wide variety of indoor as well as outdoor basketball balls, as well as backboards, nets and other essentials for your sport.
What is basketball all about?
Basketball is a team sport. Two teams of five players each try to score by shooting a ball through a hoop elevated 10 feet above the ground. The game is played on a rectangular floor called the court, and there is a hoop at each end. The court is divided into two main sections by the mid-court line. If the offensive team puts the ball into play behind the mid-court line, it has ten seconds to get the ball over the mid-court line. If it doesn't, then the defence gets the ball.
Once the offensive team gets the ball over the mid-court line, it can no longer have possession of the ball in the area behind the line. If it does, the defence is awarded the ball. The ball is moved down the court toward the basket by passing or dribbling. The team without the ball try to steal the ball, contest shots, steal and deflect passes, and garner rebounds. A ball that is thrown through the basket can be worth one, two or three points depending on various rules, and the game is usually made up of 4 periods of 10 - 12 minutes playing time.
So how can I play basketball at home?
Although you probably won’t have room to set up a whole basketball court at your home, the main point of basketball is to become good at throwing the ball through the hoop (the basket) from a variety of angles. As long as you have an outside wall (preferably not one with a window) or even a fairly tall garage door, you can mount a backboard with a net to practice your shots, alone or by taking it turns with other family members or friends.
Do I need anything else to play basketball?
Because basketball involves a lot of running, turning and quick sideways movements, it is important to make sure that you are wearing suitable footwear that protects and cushions your feet, gives you sufficient traction (allowing for an indoor or outdoor court) but still allows you to move in all directions. Clothing can be anything you like but it is important that shirts should allow for easy arm movement.
Five fun facts about basketball:
Did you know…..?
1. The first basketball game took place in 1892. The game was first played with a soccer (football) ball.
2. Basketball balls used to be brown, but recently orange has become the colour of choice.
3. In 1967, slam dunks were considered illegal; nine years later they were legalised again.
4. The first hoops were peach baskets with a bottom and the referee would climb a ladder to get the ball after each score.
5. The reason a backboard was added to the hoop is because the audience in the balcony used to interfere in the game by handling the ball when it missed the hoop.